Texto disponível em http://computingcareers.acm.org/?page_id=4 da os motivos para estudar computação e porque é uma boa escolha hoje e no futuro.
Concordo com todos os motivos, menos o sétimo! :-)
O primeiro, segundo e oitavo se aplicam diretamente na bioinformática.
Prometo colocar no meu TODO list para traduzir este texto.
Top 10 Reasons to Major in Computing
1. Computing drives innovation in the sciences (human genome project, AIDS
vaccine research, environmental monitoring and protection just to mention
a few), so if you want to make a positive difference in the world, study
2. Computing majors will provide you with a foundational knowledge of
problem solving and logical thinking that will be helpful to you no matter
what you choose to do in life.
3. Computing technology is part of just about everything that touches our
lives; from the cars we drive, to the movies we watch, to the ways banks
and governments deal with us. Understanding computer science is part of
the necessary skill set for an educated person in this century. Whether
you want to be a scientist, develop the latest killer application, or just
know what it really means when someone says “the computer made a
studying computing will provide you with valuable knowledge.
4. Computing jobs are among the highest paid and have the highest job
5. Contrary to popular belief there are more, and not fewer jobs. U.S. IT
employment was 17% higher in 2004 than in 1999. Computing also has the
greatest potential for new jobs through 2014.
6. Contrary to what some people believe, computer scientists are real
people. They have lives. They have friends. They do not sit in a cubicle
pounding out code 18 hours per day.
7. You do not have to be a nerd to be a computer scientist. You do not
have to to live, eat, and breathe computing to be a good computer
scientist. You can have a life, relationships, a family.
8. Computing is not about being a lone wolf. It is about being part of a
team that requires people with many different kinds of skills.
9. An increasing number of universities and employers see successful
completion of a computer science course as a sign of academic
10. Computing is one of those fields where it is almost impossible to
predict what will happen next. This is why we cannot even begin to imagine
all the ways that you can make a contribution to it and it can make your
life’s work exciting and real.